Questions and Aims of the Project:
Patricia Holm, EAWAG
Investigation on the decline in fish yields
- How can the decline in fish
catch and fish stock be clearly documented ?
- How important is the decrease
in fish populations ?
- How can health effects on fish
best be measured ?
- What are the causes for the
decline in fish catch ?
- Are chemical substances or other
factors, such as temperature, diseases, morphology of waters,
stocking practices, responsible for the decline ? How do these
factors interact ?
- Can single compounds or groups
of compounds be identified as the most important causes ? Are
point sources, such as wastewater treatment plant effluents or
diffuse inputs, responsible for the damage ?
Investigation on the effects
of trace compounds
- How do the potential pollutants
impair the fish ? Which organs are affected ? What is the dose-response
- What importance do endocrine
modulating compounds have on fish ?
- How do entire populations react
to the health impairment of single fish ? How can laboratory
results be transferred to natural systems ?
- Identification of a comprehensive
approach to eliminate the most important causes for the decline
in fish, development of various procedural options adapted to
the parties concerned.
- Introduction of specific measures
to improve the situation in collaboration with the parties concerned.
Introduction | Questions and Aims | Organisation
| Information Order | Events
| Fischnetz- Publication | General Publications
Projekt Fischnetz+ ·
EAWAG/Universität Basel · Institut MGU · Vesalgasse 1·
CH - 4051 Basel
Fon: +41 61 267 04 02· Fax: +41 61 267 04 09 · http://www.fischnetz.ch